Monday, May 25, 2009

On perfection...

Yeah, yeah, it's been over a week since I last posted. 

I'm realizing that writing isn't about perfection, it's about writing. It's about not putting off a blog post for a week and a half because I "don't have time" to make it good...screw that...this blog is for us. If there are any critics reading this, get out the way. Go read my spec script. 

Something I've been thinking about a lot lately: what would I do, if I could do anything I wanted? Sing. But to an extent. Not to like, an American Idol extent, because then there's judgment involved. I would also make people laugh. But to an extent. Not to like, a stand-up comedy extent, because then there's judgment involved. I would think of a third thing to include in this series, but I'm already judging myself for this cheesy repetitive structure. 

I've resented everything I've ever had to work at. So I guess if there was anything in the world I would do, it would be the things I'm already good at. 

 I think the key to my happiness is finding the balance between excellence and personal freedom. I should keep the things I love for myself, and make something else the thing I let people judge me by. For instance, buying the correct brand of cheese for the writers' kitchen. I don't care if I suck at that. But don't you dare tell me my belt isn't high enough to sing Penny in Hairspray. 

Granted, the problem with this philosophy is that it's a great way to get bored and lead a mediocre life. So far I'm okay with bored, though. Friendships are great distractions. 

Is this a cop out, or a way to save sanity? Thoughts? Ideas on where to find Boursin Light? 

And PLEASE write in. Your words will be good enough, I promise. 

 




We got to dance onstage at the end of Hair on Broadway, no judgment involved. Exhilarating!

1 comment:

  1. i want more. any way you could cook up a list of ur fav tv shows on tv. no judgment. you can even add the cougar (was that too revealing on my part?) on tvland...

    ReplyDelete